The RAA can trace its history back to the creation of the Farmer’s Relief Board in 1932, which was charged with preventing creditors taking action against farmers on debts.
In 1939 the Board became the Rural Reconstruction Board and in 1971 evolved into the Rural Assistance Board whose principal responsibility was for the administration of Commonwealth Rural Assistance Schemes in NSW and the Rural Adjustment Scheme.
Eighteen years later, the NSW Rural Assistance Authority came into being as a result of the Rural Assistance Act 1989, creating an autonomous body within the NSW Public Service. The organisation operated from Sydney in its various guises until early 1997 when it relocated to Orange in central western NSW.
The RAA reports to the Minister for Primary Industries, is aligned with the NSW Department of Primary Industries (NSW DPI) and forms part of the NSW Department of Industry departmental cluster.
|1932||Farmers Relief Board, Farmers Relief Act 1932|
|1939||Rural Reconstruction Board, Rural Reconstruction Act 1939|
|1971||Rural Assistance Board|
|1989||NSW Rural Assistance Authority, Rural Assistance Act 1989|