Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy?

Eligible primary producers are able to apply for the Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy to assist with the cost of transporting fodder and/or water to a property, stock to/from agistment and stock to sale or slaughter following a declared natural disaster event.

Who can apply for the transport subsidy?

Primary producers who have livestock on properties within a natural disaster declared local government area (LGA).

What information do I need to provide when claiming for the subsidy?

You will need to provide:

  • a copy of your latest Local Land Services (LLS) rates notice or a copy of your latest Local Government Area (LGA) rates notice
  • tax invoices (for fodder, water and/or transport costs)
  • a certified copy of your agistment agreement or invoice (where relevant)
  • evidence of sale or slaughter (where relevant).

What costs are covered by the subsidy?

The transport of:

  • fodder for stock (including bees)
  • stock drinking water
  • stock to agistment
  • stock from agistment
  • stock to sale or slaughter.

What is not covered by the subsidy?

The transport of:

Why is drought not a declared natural disaster?

The Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA) enable the Commonwealth and NSW Governments to provide assistance in the event of declared natural disasters. The NDRRA defines a natural disaster as one or a combination of the following rapid onset events:

  • bushfire
  • earthquake
  • flood
  • storm
  • cyclone
  • storm surge
  • landslide
  • tsunami
  • meteorite strike, or
  • tornado.

How do I know if my farm is covered?

Your farm must be located within a natural disaster declared LGA for you to be eligible. Visit our Declared Natural Disasters webpage for a list of current declarations or call us on 1800 678 593.

Is GST included in any payment received?

No. The GST component of any invoices received is able to be claimed on completion of your Business Activity Statement (BAS). The RAA will not issue a Recipient Created Tax Invoice (RCTI) on payment of the rebate and you should retain the ‘Payment Advice’ that is forwarded as a record for taxation purposes.

Should the subsidy be treated as taxable income when my income tax return is completed?

Please seek advice from your accountant when applying for this type of assistance.

How much can I claim?

The maximum amount of the subsidy is $15,000. However, if you have been affected by the severe weather and flood events that occurred from 22 February 2022 (AGRN 1012) or from 27 June 2022 (AGRN 1025) you are able to claim up to $25,000.

Has the transport subsidy been extended for applications?

Yes, applications have been extended for some, but not all, natural disaster events. If you have been affected by the severe weather and flood events that occurred from 22 February 2022 (AGRN 1012), applications are now open until 30 June 2023 and invoices are to be submitted by 30 September 2023.

If I was affected by the severe weather and flood events that occurred from 22 February 2022 (AGRN 1012) and have only applied for $15,000, can I claim up to the maximum $25,000?

Yes, however you will need to submit a second application. Please note that you are only eligible for a maximum amount of $25,000 for this event.

If I have been approved for a Special Disaster Grant and have submitted invoices under that program, can I move those invoices to claim under the Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy?

No. If you have submitted invoices for the transport of stock, fodder or water under the Special Disaster Grant you cannot move those to be claimed under the Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy.

How quickly will claims be progressed?

The RAA aims for a two-week turnaround including the receipt of payments.

Can I get approval before transporting my stock or the fodder?

No. Claims must be lodged with invoices following the transport of the stock/fodder.

When is the cut-off date for lodging claims?

The Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy is available during the first six-month period of a natural disaster declaration. Claims for the rebate must be submitted no later than nine months after the date on which the disaster is declared.

Please note that this applies to all events except for the severe weather and flooding that occurred from 22 February 2022 (AGRN 1012) which closes for invoices on 30 September 2023.

How far am I able to move my stock or obtain fodder?

A maximum distance of 1,500 kms applies.

What is the minimum load?

The minimum load for stock is equivalent to 70 dry sheep equivalents (DSE). Loads of less than 70 DSE will be assessed on a case-by-case basis (e.g. transporting bulls). The minimum load for water is 1000 litres.

How far am I able to obtain water?

The subsidy on the transport of water is only available if the water is carted from the nearest practicable source. A maximum distance of 500 km applies.

Am I able to move fodder and/or water within my property?

Genuine smaller vehicle movements within a property are allowed where the initial vehicle transporting the fodder to the property is too large to transport the fodder to the appropriate storage location on the property. Transport of water within a holding is eligible as long as the roundtrip distance is 15 km or greater and water is transported to a suitable storage facility that minimises evaporation.

Can a company or incorporated body apply?

Yes, however please note that the company must have a right or interest in the land used for the purpose of a farm enterprise.

Are oyster growers eligible for the Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy?

Yes, oyster growers are able to use the subsidy to transport stock to/from agistment as a result of natural disaster. Stock must be from within a natural disaster declared LGA and must be initially transported within 3 months from the date of the declaration.

What do oyster growers need to apply?

Oyster growers must supply their oyster permit and leases, completed movement sheet and a copy of their owner carrier registration papers (for private truck or vessel movements).

What can oyster growers claim?

Oyster growers can claim up to 50% of the total eligible fuel invoices.

Below are the costs that are covered for oyster growers:

  • owner carrier movements of transporting dead stock (as a result of the natural disaster)
  • owner carrier movements to transport stock to agistment
  • owner carrier movements to transport stock from agistment

Below are the costs that are not covered:

  • movements from an oyster lease that is not within a natural disaster declared LGA
  • owner carrier movements to repair damaged infrastructure
  • associated movements by forklift or cranes etc.

You may be requested to provided supporting documentation or complete a declaration for the movements.

How does the RAA protect itself against fraud?

The RAA has a strong commitment to fraud prevention, detection, and response. Making a fraudulent application, including providing false or misleading information, is a criminal offence which carries a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment, or a fine of $22,000, or both.

The RAA will also attempt to recover any assistance received as a result of fraud.

More information can be found on our Fraud and Corruption page on our website.

Where can people get more help?

  • Rural Financial Counselling Service
    If you are experiencing any issues completing the application form, free confidential assistance is available from your local Rural Financial Counselling Service:
    Southern Region: 1800 319 458
    Northern Region: 1800 344 090
  • Translations
    If you need assistance with interpreting or translating, please contact Multicultural NSW on 1300 651 500 or email
  • Rural Assistance Authority (RAA)
    If you have any further questions regarding programs being delivered via the Rural Assistance Authority, please contact the team on 1800 678 593 or at