Ahead of the NSW state election on 25 March 2023, the NSW Government caretaker period has commenced. Limited updates will be made to this website during this period.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Rural Landholder Grant? 

This program provides a grant of up to $25,000 for landholders who were affected by the NSW severe weather and flooding from February 2022 onwards (AGRN 1012) and are not eligible for existing programs. The grant can be used for clean-up activities, damages or losses that are beyond the vicinity of the residential dwelling.

Who can apply for the grant?

This Grant is designed to assist rural landholders who have been affected by the severe weather and flooding and are ineligible for existing assistance because they do not meet the 50% primary production income requirement. Funding is available to eligible landholders in declared LGA’s with a holding of at least 10ha and who earn at least $20,000 from primary production per annum. To be eligible you must:

  • Be normally charges rates under the Local Land Services Act 2013 on property of at least 10 hectares (24.7 acres) in size, or
  • Hold a Class A Aquaculture Permit under the Fisheries Management Act 1984 authorising aquaculture lease area of at least 1 hectare

How much can I claim, and do I need to repay the grant?

The maximum grant amount per affected property is $25,000. A single application will be accepted and should cover an estimate of all damage incurred, up to the maximum $25,000. This is a grant and not a loan, meaning you don’t need to repay the funds.

How do I prove flood damage?

To make it easier for you to apply, the RAA has access to third party damage assessment information, for example high-resolution imagery, to confirm the extent of the impacts in declared flood-affected local government areas in NSW.

However, it is important that you provide reasonable evidence of flood damage with your application so we can fully assess your situation.

Some examples include:

  • Quotes or estimates for works to be completed
  • Tax invoices of expenses incurred for clean up or salvage works already completed in response to the declared event
  • Photos taken of damaged property with time, date and location stamps. These are not mandatory however can assist us to assess your claim

What can the funding be used for?

Grants are provided to help pay for the costs of clean up, reinstatement activities and emergency measure associated with the immediate recovery of primary production enterprises. For a full list of eligible claims view the program guidelines.

What evidence do I need to provide to receive payment of the grant?

Approved applicants will receive an upfront payment of $5,000. To receive the remaining $20,000 applicants will need to provide tax invoices for eligible expenses incurred along with proof of payment.

Can I submit invoices from a non-recognised supplier?

Yes, however you may be required to provide some additional documentation to support your claim.

The RAA expects that all invoices submitted are from a recognised supplier and that the works undertaken are consistent with that supplier’s normal course of business. When assessing claims, the RAA considers the ABN, trading name and address of the entity that has issued the invoice to you, as well as their website, social media or other advertising.

If you are claiming for a product purchased from a non-recognised supplier, such as a related party or another farming enterprise, the RAA will request that the original invoice from the recognised source supplier be provided, as well as proof of payment to the related party or farming enterprise. This is to ensure that there is no double claiming of the same product. It is also to ensure that any product on sold from one applicant to another is done so without additional costs included.

If you are claiming for a service using a non-recognised contractor, we may also request that you provide a third party quote and/or photographic evidence of the damages and the completed works.

Can I apply for the grant before I have incurred the expenses?

Yes. You can complete your application online. Once your application has been approved you can then submit your tax invoices along with proof of payment via the online claim form (link to online claims).

What information do I need to provide with my application?

You will need to complete the online application form and attach a copy of the following documentation:

  • Most recent tax returns and financial statements for the applying entity along with the Individual Tax returns for all members of the business.
  • Your most recent Local Land Service Rates Notice
  • Quotes, estimates, photos, tax invoices (if you have them)
  • Current Aquaculture Permit (if applicable)

What do I do if I don’t have my current tax return?

You will not be able to progress through the form without providing tax returns. If you do not have your 2021 tax returns, please upload your 2020 tax returns.

You can provide permission for the NSW RAA to contact your accountant directly to obtain your tax returns and financial statements.

What do I do if I don’t have a copy of my Local Land Service (LLS) rates notice?

LLS can send you a copy of your LLS rates notice. Request a copy on 1300 795 299

Do I need to provide invoices for my claim upfront?

No. You can elect to provide invoices for your claim either upfront with your application or you can choose to do this after you receive approval.

After your application has been approved you will receive an upfront payment of $5,000. To claim the remaining $20,000 you can submit invoices for reimbursement along with proof of payment via the online claim link.

All invoices must be submitted to the RAA by the close date shown on the RAA website.

Can I claim the Rural Landholder Grant if I have received other government funding for the damages caused by the severe weather and flooding from February 2022 onwards?

No. To be eligible for the Rural Landholder Grants applicants must not have received or be entitled to receive, assistance under the Special Disaster Assistance, Storm & Flood Industry Recovery Program’s Supply Chain Support Grants, or other natural disaster assistance in the capacity of being a primary producer, small business owner or non-profit organisation.

Is the grant applied per business or property?

The grant funding is available per ABN.

I have multiple properties under one ABN, can I submit multiple claims?

No. Only one application per ABN will be eligible.

I have more than three properties, but the application form only allows me to enter the details of three?

You should enter the details of the properties where majority of the damage was incurred. If you require further information, please contact the RAA directly on 1800 678 593

Is GST included in any payment received?

No. The GST component of any invoice received can be claimed on completion of your Business Activity Statement (BAS). The RAA will NOT issue a Recipient Created Tax Invoice (RCTI) on payment of the grant, and you should retain the ‘payment advice’ that is forwarded as a record for taxation purposes.

How does the RAA protect itself against fraud?

The RAA has a strong commitment to fraud prevention, detection, and response. Making a fraudulent application, including providing false or misleading information, is a criminal offence which carries a maximum penalty of 2 years imprisonment, or a fine of $22,000, or both. The RAA will also attempt to recover any assistance received as a result of fraud. More information can be found on our Fraud and Corruption page on our website.

Where can I get additional assistance?

  • Rural Financial Counselling Service
    If you are experiencing any issues completing the application form, free confidential assistance is available from your local Rural Financial Counselling Service:
    Southern Region: 1800 319 458
    Northern Region: 1800 344 090
  • Translations
    If you need assistance with interpreting or translating, please contact Multicultural NSW on 1300 651 500 or email languageservices@multicultural.nsw.gov.au.
  • Rural Assistance Authority (RAA)
    If you have any further questions about the NSW Government's Mouse Control Program - Zinc Phosphide Rebate, please contact the RAA on 1800 678 593 or at rural.assis@raa.nsw.gov.au.