Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Rural Landholder Grant?

The Rural Landholder Grant program provides a grant of up to $10,000 for landholders and oyster farmers who have been affected by severe flooding that began on 4 August 2022 and/or 14 September 2022 and are not eligible for existing programs. The grant can be used for clean-up activities, damage or losses that are beyond the vicinity of the residential dwelling.

Who can apply for the grant?

This grant is designed to assist rural landholders and oyster farmers who have been affected by severe weather and flooding and do not meet the eligibility criteria for the $75,000 Special Disaster Grant for primary producers or the $50,000 Service NSW Disaster Recovery Small Business Grant.

Applicants must be located in one of the LGAs disaster-declared for AGRN 1030 and/or AGRN 1034 and receive at least $20,000 in income from primary production per annum. Applicants must have a holding of at least 10 ha of rural land or a Class A aquaculture permit authorising at least 1 ha or operate a bona fide primary production enterprise on a smaller area of land.

Please refer to the program guidelines for detailed eligibility criteria.

How much can applicants claim?

The maximum grant amount per affected property is $10,000. A single application will be accepted and should cover an estimate of all damage incurred up to the maximum of $10,000.

Do the funds need to be repaid?

This is a grant and not a loan, meaning applicants don’t need to repay the funds.

How do applicants prove flood damage?

To make it easier for applicants, the RAA has access to third-party damage assessment information (for example high-resolution imagery) to confirm the extent of the impacts in disaster-declared flood-affected local government areas in NSW.

However, it is important that applicants provide reasonable evidence of flood damage with their application so that the RAA can fully assess the situation.

Some examples include:

  • quotes or estimates for works to be completed
  • tax invoices of expenses incurred for clean-up or salvage works already completed in response to the declared event
  • photos taken of damaged property with time, date and location stamps – these are not mandatory; however, they can assist us to assess your claim.

What can the grant be used for?

Grants are provided to help pay for the costs of clean-up, reinstatement activities and emergency measures associated with the immediate recovery of primary production enterprises. A full list of eligible claim items is available in the program guidelines.

What evidence do applicants need to provide to receive payment of the grant?

Approved eligible applicants will receive an upfront payment of $3,000. To receive the remaining $7,000, applicants must provide tax invoices for eligible expenses incurred along with proof of payment.

Can applicants apply for the grant before they have incurred the expenses?

Yes, applications can be completed online and once approved, applicants can then submit tax invoices along with proof of payment via the online claim form.

What information do applicants need to provide with their application?

Applicants will need to complete the online application form and attach a copy of the following documentation:

  • the most recent tax returns and financial statements for the applying entity and individual tax returns for all members of the business
  • the most recent local government area rates notice (council rates notice)
  • quotes, estimates, photos and tax invoices (if available)
  • a current aquaculture permit (if applicable)

What can applicants do if they don’t have a current tax return?

Applicants will not be able to progress through the form without providing tax returns. If applicants do not have their 2021 or 2022 tax returns, their 2020 tax returns can be uploaded.

Applicants can provide permission for the RAA to contact their accountant directly to obtain tax returns and financial statements.

Do applicants need to provide invoices for their claim upfront?

No. Applicants can elect to provide invoices for their claim either upfront with their application, or they can choose to do this after their application has been approved.

After the application has been approved, eligible applicants will receive an upfront payment of $3,000. To claim the remaining $7,000, they must submit invoices for reimbursement along with proof of payment via the online claim link.

All invoices must be submitted to the RAA no later than 5 June 2024 to receive payment.

Can applicants claim the Rural Landholder Grant if they have received other government funding for the damages caused by severe weather and flooding?

No. To be eligible for the Rural Landholder Grants, applicants must not have received or be entitled to receive assistance, including the RAA’s Special Disaster Grant, Service NSW’s Disaster Recovery Small Business Grant or other natural disaster assistance in the capacity of being a primary producer, small business owner or non-profit organisation.

Can I submit invoices from a non-recognised supplier?

Yes, however you may be required to provide some additional documentation to support your claim.

The RAA expects that all invoices submitted are from a recognised supplier and that the works undertaken are consistent with that supplier’s normal course of business. When assessing claims, the RAA considers the ABN, trading name and address of the entity that has issued the invoice to you, as well as their website, social media or other advertising.

If you are claiming for a product purchased from a non-recognised supplier, such as a related party or another farming enterprise, the RAA will request that the original invoice from the recognised source supplier be provided, as well as proof of payment to the related party or farming enterprise. This is to ensure that there is no double claiming of the same product. It is also to ensure that any product on sold from one applicant to another is done so without additional costs included.

If you are claiming for a service using a non-recognised contractor, we may also request that you provide a third party quote and/or photographic evidence of the damages and the completed works.

Is the grant applied per business or property?

The grant funding is available per Australian Business Number (ABN).

If there are multiple properties under one ABN, can multiple claims be submitted?

No. Only one application per ABN will be eligible.

If applicants have more than three properties, but the application form only allows them to enter the details of three properties, what should they do?

Applicants should enter the details of the properties where the majority of the damage was incurred. If further information is required, applicants can contact the RAA directly on 1800 678 593.

Is GST included in any payment received?

No. The GST component of any invoice received can be claimed on completion of the applying entity’s Business Activity Statement (BAS). The RAA will not issue a Recipient Created Tax Invoice (RCTI) on payment of the grant, and applicants should retain the ‘payment advice’ that is forwarded as a record for taxation purposes.

How does the RAA protect itself against fraud?

The RAA has a strong commitment to fraud prevention, detection, and response. Making a fraudulent application, including providing false or misleading information, is a criminal offence which carries a maximum penalty of two years imprisonment, a fine of $22,000, or both.

The RAA will also attempt to recover any assistance received as a result of fraud.

More information can be found on our Fraud and Corruption page on our website.

Where can people get more help?

  • Rural Financial Counselling Service
    If you are experiencing any issues completing the application form, free, confidential assistance is available from your local Rural Financial Counselling Service: 
    Southern Region: 1800 319 458 
    Northern Region: 1800 344 090
  • Translations
    If you need assistance with interpreting or translating, please contact Multicultural NSW on 1300 651 500 or email
  • Rural Assistance Authority (RAA) 
    If you have any further questions regarding programs being delivered via the Rural Assistance Authority, please contact the team on 1800 678 593 or at