A NSW Government website

Rural Assistance Authority

Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy

The Natural Disaster Transport Subsidy is available to eligible farmers who are affected by a declared natural disaster event. This subsidy pays for the cost of transporting:

  • fodder and/or water to an affected property
  • stock to sale or slaughter
  • stock to/from agistment.

Visit the Declarations page to check that your Local Government Area (LGA) has been declared for a natural disaster event.

Applications must be lodged by the relevant close date listed for your LGA on the Declarations page.

Assistance available

Primary producers affected by a declared natural disaster can apply for a subsidy up to $15,000 for transport at a rate of 50% of the total amount paid to the carrier or specified costs for an owner driver. The subsidy can be claimed once by an eligible applicant for each declared natural disaster event. The maximum distance for each movement is 1,500 kilometres.

Download the Program Guidelines for detail.

What you will need

Applicants must complete an online application form or a manual application form and upload/attach the following documentation:

  • Local Land Services rates notice or Local Government rates notice
  • Owner Carrier (copy of registration papers and log book entries)
  • Proof of expenditure (tax invoices)
  • Completed movement sheet (download the movement sheet here).

Apply now

The online application form has been designed to make the process as simple as possible. You will be required to upload digital copies of supporting documentation so please have these ready before commencing your application (refer to the 'What you will need’ section for details). We recommend you use the Google Chrome browser when applying.

Click on the link below to access the online application form.

Claim payment

It is recommended that you await the outcome of your application before submitting invoices. Once your application has been processed and approved, an Assessment Officer will advise you of the process for claiming additional funds.

Please note that the online form has file size restrictions (approx. 20MB total) – for each attachment please ensure the file size is 2.5MB or less to avoid submission issues.

To lodge a claim, you will need:

  • BP reference number
  • ABN number
  • Case number from your original application
  • Tax invoices.

Please note, invoices to be claimed under this program must be submitted by the relevant close date listed on the Declarations webpage.

We recommend you use the Google Chrome browser when submitting a claim.

Frequently asked questions

To read the Frequently Asked Questions for this program please click here.

Need help?

If you have any questions about this program you can contact our team by calling 1800 678 593 or emailing rural.assist@raa.nsw.gov.au.

If you have difficulty understanding the guidelines or completing the application form you should seek the assistance of your rural/financial counsellor, business advisor, accountant or a trusted family member/friend. If you need assistance with interpreting or translating, please contact Multicultural NSW on 1300 651 500 or email languageservices@multicultural.nsw.gov.au.

If you are experiencing any issues completing the form, free confidential assistance is available from your local Rural Financial Counselling Service (RFCS). For more information, visit the RFCS website or call:

  • Northern region: 1800 344 090
  • Southern and Central region: 1800 319 458